Header Images for Archives Site

You Are Here: Home > Archives and Special Collections > Springfield College History

Springfield College History



Springfield alumni (S.K. Kao, S.F. Chang, John Ma, Man F. Hui, Gunson Hoh, Snowpine Liu, C.F. Song, Y.Y. Chang, W.L. Wang) at a track meet in China






Name Changes

1885 School for Christian Workers
1890 YMCA Training School
1891 International YMCA Training School
1912 International YMCA College
1954 Springfield College


Springfield College Presidents

David Allen Reed 1885-1891
Henry S. Lee 1891-1893
Charles S. Barrows 1893-1896
Laurence L. Doggett 1896-1936
Ernest M. Best 1937-1946
Paul M. Limbert 1946-1952
Donald C. Stone 1953-1957
Glenn A. Olds 1958-1965
Wilbert E. Locklin 1965-1985
Frank S. Falcone 1985-1992
Randolph W. Bromery 1992-1998
Richard B. Flynn 1999-2013
Mary-Beth Cooper 2013-


top


College Seal

In 1889 faculty member Luther H. Gulick, pioneer in physical education and recreation in the United States, created the inverted equilateral triangle logo to represent spirit, mind, and body. The School adopted the triangle as its emblem in December 1891. As the basis for the YMCA's official symbol, the triangle became one of the most recognized corporate logos around the world. Gulick explained What the Triangle Means in 1894. The College seal was registered as a trademark with the United States Patent Office in 1968.

History of the College Seal

1891 emblem current emblem

Springfield College 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109-3797 413.748.3000 | Employment at SC
Copyright 2008-2009 Springfield College. All rights reserved worldwide.
Site design and production: Office of Marketing and Communications.