Click here if you are not redirected.
Information about the Emerging Leaders Program at Springfield College
Springfield College's Emerging Leaders Program assumes the following:
- Every student has the potential to be a leader and that the skills necessary to lead can be learned. This learning is not an end in itself; rather, leadership development is an on-going process.
- The skills developed through participation in the Emerging Leaders Program impact all aspects of students' lives and have application now and in the future
- Inherent in the concept of leadership development is the art of being a follower. Students will gain an understanding of and appreciation for the fluidity of leading and following and will practice both.
- The Emerging Leaders Program complements classroom learning and provides students with experiential opportunities to develop and practice leadership skills.
Springfield College's Emerging Leaders Program has the following purposes:
- To increase self-awareness through values clarification, exploring personal ethics and belief systems and identifying personal strengths.
- To develop a greater understanding and acceptance of cultural diversity. To increase awareness, understanding and appreciation for perspectives, experiences and values different from ones own.
- To introduce students to leadership concepts and theories.
- To develop skills and competencies needed as a leader or active participant in a group process.
Springfield College's Emerging Leaders Program is designed to:
- Utilize a comprehensive approach, combining both experiential and theoretical presentation techniques.
- Incorporate the expertise of faculty and staff members in presentation to further out-of-class and out-of-office relationships with students.
- Include opportunities for peer instruction and mentoring.
- Incorporate purposeful, structured reflection time into the program to deepen the connection between past experience and knowledge and new learnings.
Springfield College's Emerging Leaders Program enables students to:
- Strengthen their connection to the College and their peers
- Communicate their ideas and values effectively
- Identify and utilize resources effectively
- Develop a greater understanding of themselves in relation to others
- Build a foundation of interpersonal and leadership skills
- Broaden their awareness and appreciation of differences