Academics International Studies New Students
- Health Insurance Requirements
- Optional Practical Training
- Driver's License Information
- Tax Information
Driver's License Information
Registry of Motor VehiclesLiberty Street
To obtain a Massachusetts driver’s license, you must take both a written test and a road test, even if you have a license from your home country.
In Massachusetts you may drive for one year on your home country license if it is on the list of countries found in Appendix C of the Driver’s Manual.
You will be asked for your passport w/ visa, I-20, I-94, proof of address (phone bill or letter from the College addressed to you), social security card. If you do not have a social security card, please come to the International Center and we will give you a letter explaining why you do not have a SS#.
Written Test/ Permit Fee $30This fee is to process your application and for the test.
You can download the Driver’s Manual here.
The written test is a short computer based test of road rules and traffic safety. You may request the test in other languages. When you pass the test, you will receive a permit to drive with a licensed operator over 21 years of age. You may practice driving with a licensed friend or family member or you may take lessons from a driving school.
Road Test Fee $20This fee is to process your application and for the road test. You must schedule a road test at the RMV.
If you take driving lessons, your instructor will go with you for the test. If you schedule the test by yourself, you should have another driver with you. Be sure the car in which you plan to take the test has both front and rear license plates, all lights and signals in working order and a valid inspection sticker. If the car does not meet these standards, you will not be allowed to take the test.
The license will be mailed to you.
- International Center Student Handbook(.pdf)
- Financial Guarantee: Undergraduate(.pdf)
- Financial Guarantee: Graduate(.pdf)
- SHS Financial Guarantee: Undergraduate(.pdf)
- SHS Financial Guarantee: Graduate(.pdf)
- J-1 Program General Information(.pdf)
- Application for DS-2019(.pdf)
- Exchange Visitor Financial Documentation(.pdf)
- Sponsoring Department/Faculty Agreement(.pdf)
Contact International Center