Information For:
Making a Gift | Prospective Students | Alumni | Current Students | Faculty & Staff
Visit mySCweb
| Directions | Directory

You Are Here: Home > Academics > International Center > Tax Information

Tax Information

Students with F-1 or J-1 visas who arrived in the United States are required to file a Tax Return even if you have earned no income.

Tax forms and instructions are available in the International Center or on line at

If you have received no income subject to taxation, you may complete Form 8843. Taxable income includes salary from on-campus work and U.S. based scholarships that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books and course supplies. You do not need a social security number to complete this form.

If you have received taxable income (for example, from on-campus employment), you will receive a W-2 form from the Business Office by January 31. You will need to complete a tax return even if you are exempt from paying taxes.
You will need the following information to complete your tax return:

  • Passport
  • Form I-94
  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019
  • W-2 Form
  • 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ
  • Social Security Number


The deadline for filing your tax return for April 15th each year.


Springfield College 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109-3797 413.748.3000 | Employment at SC
Copyright 2008-2009 Springfield College. All rights reserved worldwide.
Site design and production: Office of Marketing and Communications.