Clifton M. Drury began his YMCA career in the Erie (PA) YMCA in 1923. His early career took him to Ys in Michigan: Upper Peninsula, Cadillac, Detroit and Lansing.
He became the Associate Director of the Camp Hayo-Went-Ha in 1928, moving into the director position two years later. He remained with the camp until his retirement in 1964. During the off-season, he stayed active as the Coordinator of the World Ambassador program, which sent teams of volunteer workers all over the world.
In 1950 he took a five month leave to join General Douglas MacArthur’s staff in Japan, working with the Ministry of Education to train the youth leadership of the Japanese YMCAs. After retirement, Drury was again drawn to Japan. He served for three years as a special World Service Secretary as a consultant to Ys in Asia for camping and outdoor education.