Education ConcentrationThe Education Concentration enables adults to explore the field of education, focus on education as an avenue for change, gain a broad range of subject matter knowledge, and earn a bachelor's degree while working full-time. The adult-centered program offers opportunities to explore ways to make education the way we want it to be. The course work will help to prepare students to pass the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensing (MTEL) in Communication and Literacy and Elementary Subject Matter.
Goals are to provide:
- Access to the educational field for non-traditional adult learners
- Excellence in preparation to enter a licensing program after graduation
- Opportunities to expand and deepen students' views of the diverse world
Students must earn 120 credits to graduate. Of those credits, 48 must be taken at Springfield College (residency requirement).
Students must complete all three levels of required courses:
- General Education Requirements (GERs)
- SHS requirements
- Education Concentration requirements (Minimum 18 credits taken in residence)
- Must choose a group project topic that is education-related
- Should take the Communication and Literacy portion of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensing (MTEL) if they plan to be licensed in Massachusetts
- Should take the Praxis test if they plan to be licensed in Connecticut