Information For:
Making a Gift | Prospective Students | Alumni | Current Students | Faculty & Staff
Visit mySCweb
| Directions | Directory

You Are Here: Home > Academics > International Center > International Center FAQs

International Center FAQs

What do I need to apply to Springfield College?

Admission requirements for F-1 students:

  1. Submit an application with a $50 deposit
  2. Submit high school or college transcripts in English
  3. Provide documentation of financial support
  4. Submit TOEFL and other required test scores

What tests do I need to enter Springfield College?
SC requires the TOEFL (iBT 69 for Undergraduates, 79 for Graduates), SAT for undergraduates, and the GRE for some graduate programs.

Do you offer an English program if my TOEFL score is too low?
Students who do not have the required TOEFL score may receive a conditional acceptance and will take ESOL classes as well as one or two classes toward their major. ESOL classes offer credit and fulfill General Education requirements for undergraduate students.

When do I get my I-20?
When all the application materials have been received at the College, and an acceptance letter has been issued by the Admissions Director, you will need to make your $1000 deposit your financial guarantee statement. You will then receive your I-20 from the International Center. When you receive it, you may apply for your F-1 visa.

How many international students are there at Springfield College?
In 2012, there were about 60 international students/scholars from 18 different countries.

What services does the International Center provide for international students?
We advise students on the admissions process, immigration, taxes and academics. In addition, we offer an orientation program to ease the transition to Springfield College. This includes airport, bus or train station pickup; moving into available on- or off-campus housing; accessing health care; opening a bank account; and using the resources of the College.

Is there any financial aid available to international students?
Springfield College has limited financial aid for undergraduate international students. Some associateships and assistantships are available for graduate students.

Can I work while I study at Springfield College?
Students on an F1 visa may work on campus only. A maximum of 20/week during the regular semester, and a maximum of 40 hours/week during school breaks is allowed.

Are there any clubs or activities for international students?
All international students can participate in the International Student Organization. This club arranges many social, cultural and educational activities for international students throughout the year. Each spring the international students organize an International Festival. In addition, Springfield College offers many opportunities to join clubs and organizations that range from intramural sports to service to arts and music.

My visa has expired! Am I out of status?
Don’t worry. Your expired visa does not mean you are out of status. As long as you are a full-time student and you have a current I-20 you are maintaining your status. However, you need a valid visa to enter the country, so if you leave the U.S., you must visit an American Consulate to get a new visa before entering the U.S.

I don’t work. Do I have to fill out tax forms?
All students have to fill out tax forms. Students with on-campus jobs do not make enough money to need to pay taxes. Tax forms and instructions are available in the International Center.

Springfield College 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109-3797 413.748.3000 | Employment at SC
Copyright 2008-2009 Springfield College. All rights reserved worldwide.
Site design and production: Office of Marketing and Communications.