A native of Richville, N.Y., Smith won two matches and lost one after Day 1 of the championships yesterday.
Today, Smith was looking to finish as high as third overall, but he lost to Bryan Lenhardt of Johnson & Wales, 6-0, in his first match of the day. That put Elliot into the 7th-8th place bracket.
In his final match of his career, Smith then pinned Eric Fishel of Johns Hopkins in a time of 5:19, thus placing seventh.
As a team, Smith scored 8.5 points for Springfield all by himself. That put the Pride in a tie for 30th for the championship, with one more session to go.
Here is how Smith finished at the NCAAs, wire-to-wire.
1) Smith dec. #8-seeded Jay Figgins (Loras), 7-6
2) #1-seeded Romeo Djournessi (Wartburg) pinned Smith, 6:50
3) Smith dec. Nic Barclay (Luther), 11-2
1) Bryan Lenhardt (JWU) dec. Smith, 6-0
2) Smith pinned Eric Fishel (Johns Hopkins), 5:19