It was the season and conference openers for both teams.
Doubles was dominated by the Blue. Despite three newly-minted doubles pairs, Wellesley opened play with a 3-0 lead. At one, senior Jacqueline Shen and first-year Diana Granger picked up an 8-5 win over Amy Shaw and Kyla Walgren. In the second spot, first-years Erica Choo and Kendall Tada were 8-2 winners over Sam Carney and Jen Cleary. Wrapping up doubles play, senior Nathalie Herman and first-year Morgan Johnstonbaugh also won 8-2, over Siana Green and Erin Woodbury.
In singles, Wellesley won five out of the six flights to seal the 8-1 team victory. Shen picked up a quick 6-1, 6-0 win over Shaw at one before Springfield got on the board at the two spot with Carney defeating Choo, 6-2, 6-2. Wellesley's Herman won a three-set match over Cleary at three (1-6, 6-1, 10-6), while Granger won 6-3, 6-1 over Walgren at four.
Closing out the ladder, Tada won 6-0, 6-1 over Woodbury in the five spot, while Johnstonbaugh was a 6-2, 6-3 winner against Vanessa Senecal at six.
Wellesley is back in action this weekend, hosting the 2010 ITA Regional. The tournament runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Springfield has a Tuesday match at Wesleyan, before returning to Wellesley for the ITA Regional.
Wellesley College 8, Springfield College 1
Sep 11, 2010 at Wellesley, MA (Wellesley College)
1. Jacqueline Shen (WEL) def. Amy Shaw (SPR) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sam Carney (SPR) def. Erica Choo (WEL) 6-2, 6-0
3. Nathalie Herman (WEL) def. Jen Cleary (SPR) 1-6, 6-1, 10-6
4. Diana Granger (WEL) def. Kyla Walgren (SPR) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kendall Tada (WEL) def. Erin Woodbury (SPR) 6-0, 6-1
6. Morgan Johnstonbaugh (WEL) def. Vanessa Senecal (SPR) 6-2, 6-3
1. Jacqueline Shen/Diana Granger (WEL) def. Amy Shaw/Kyla Walgren (SPR) 8-5
2. Erica Choo/Kendall Tada (WEL) def. Sam Carney/Jen Cleary (SPR) 8-2
3. Nathalie Herman/Morgan Johnstonbaugh (WEL) def. Siana Green/Erin Woodbury (SPR) 8-2