With the win, the Camels are now 6-7, while Springfield drops to 5-6. It is the second victory of the year for Connecticut College over Springfield. Back in March during Spring Break in Puerto Rico, the Camels defeated the Pride, 8-1.
Conn. College jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles play. The only win for the Pride came at No. 2 where Tunis, a junior from Sudbury, Mass., teamed with freshman Zach O'Leary (Westboro, Mass.) to defeat sophomore Craig Stanton (Warwick, R.I.) and freshman Jeffrey Weisberger (Wayne, N.J.), 8-4.
In singles, Tunis was again victorious at No. 4 by defeating freshman Henry Friedman (Wynnewood, Pa.), 2-6, 6-3, (10-5 super tie-breaker). SC's other victory came at No. 6 singles where sophomore Eric Henne (Bristol, Conn.), who continues to look stronger as the year goes along, took down sophomore Marshall Collins (Lexington, Mass.), 7-6 (1), 6-2.
Although O'Leary had success in teaming with Tunis in the doubles match, the freshman had to default at his No. 5 singles match. Zach was trailing 5-2 in the first set when his wrist bothered him too much to continue.
Singles winners for Conn. College included sophomore Trevor Prophet (Nashua, N.H.) at No. 1, Stanton at No. 2, Weisberger at No. 3, and freshman Karam Sethi (Irvine, Calif.) at No. 5.
A key match came at No. 1 doubles where the Springfield duo of senior Andrew Constant (Kingston, N.Y.) and junior Trevor Romanzi (Bay Shore, N.Y.) had a match point in their favor, but could not hold on as the pairing of Prophet and Friedman came back to win, 9-7.
Final Score: Connecticut College 6, Springfield 3
1) Henry Friedman/Trevor Prophet (CC) def. Andrew Constant/Trevor Romanzi (SC), 9-7
2) Zach O'Leary/Tim Tunis (SC) def. Craig Stanton/Jeffrey Weisberger (CC), 8-4
3) Jeremy Bader/Jeff Deacon (CC) def. Bobby Schlink/Doug Nickerson (SC), 8-6
1) Prophet (CC) def. Constant (SC), 6-3, 6-0
2) Stanton (CC) def. Romanzi (SC), 4-6, 6-4 (10-6 super tiebreaker)
3) Weisberger (CC) def. Schlink (SC), 7-5, 6-2
4) Tunis (SC) def. Friedman (CC), 2-6, 6-3 (10-5 super tiebreaker)
5) Karam Sethi (CC) def. O'Leary (SC), 5-2, inj. default
6) Eric Henne (SC) def. Marshall Collins (CC), 7-6 (1), 6-2
Records: Conn. College -- 6-7; Springfield -- 5-6