With the win, the Pride is now 2-4 overall, 1-3 in NEWMAC play. Smith falls to 0-5 overall, 0-5 in the conference.
Shaw, a senior co-captain from Walpole, Mass., was a 6-1, 6-1 winner in singles over Smith junior Jaimi Inskeep (Warrenville, Ill). Earlier, Shaw and fellow senior co-captain Kyla Walgren (West Hartford, Conn.) had combined to win their doubles match at No. 1.
After doubles play, SC led, 2-1.
Then at No. 5 singles, sophomore Erin Woodbury (Yarmouth, Me.) gave the Pride a 6-0, 6-2 victory, upping the count to 3-1. SC freshman Jen Cleary (Nahant, Mass.) had some early difficulty against her opponent, junior Gianna Teague (Gahanna, Ohio). Cleary was down a set, 6-2, but was winning the second set, 5-0, when Teague was forced to retire because of injury.
SC sophomore Sam Carney (Franklin, Mass.) produced the clincher at No. 3 singles with a 6-0, 6-4 victory.
The match then moved indoors. Smith sophomore Eunice Zhao (Las Vegas, Nev.) came through with the Pioneers' second team point at No. 6 singles, winning her match, 6-3, 6-4.
Shaw made it 6-2 with her victory at No. 1 singles. And it finally came down to a marathon match at No. 4 singles. Smith junior Clair Oblamski (Elm Grove, Wisc.) outlasted Walgren, 6-3, 5-7 (10-4), winning a third-set super tiebreaker.
1) Amy Shaw/Kyla Walgren (SC) def. Jaimi Inskeep/Gianna Teague (S), 9-7
2) Sam Carney/Jen Cleary (SC) def. Nicole Anderson/Margaret Steiner (S), 8-4
3) Clair Oblamski/Eunice Zhao (S) def. Siana Green/Erin Woodbury (SC), 8-6
1) Amy Shaw (SC) def. Jaimi Inskeep (S), 6-1, 6-1
2) Sam Carney (SC) def. Nicole Anderson (S), 6-0, 6-4
3) Jen Cleary (SC) def. Gianna Teague (S), 2-6, 5-0 forfeit
4) Clair Oblamski (S) def. Kyla Walgren (SC) 6-3, 5-7, (10-4)
5) Erin Woodbury (SC) def. Margaret Steiner (S), 6-0, 6-2
6) Eunice Zhao (S) def. Vanessa Senecal (SC), 6-3, 6-4
Springfield -- 2-4, 1-3 NEWMAC
Smith -- 0-5, 0-5 NEWMAC