Romanzi, a junior from Bay Shore, N.Y., defeated his opponent, Louis Colon, in fairly convincing style, 6-1, 6-3. Earlier he had teamed with junior Tim Tunis (Sudbury, Mass.) at No. 2 doubles, winning 8-1 over the duo of Colon and Jose Bachier.
Other double winners on the day included senior Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.) at No. 4 singles and No. 1 doubles, and freshman Zach O'Leary (Westboro, Mass.) at No. 5 singles and No. 3 doubles. Schlink won his singles match over Bachier, 7-6 (8-6 tiebreaker), 6-1. O'Leary won his singles match over Jose Linares, 6-3, 6-1. O'Leary was quoted as saying he thought that "the team's intensity was great today."
The most impressive singles victory of the day was provided by sophomore Eric Henne (Bristol, Conn.). He won his No. 6 singles match in quick fashion over Juan Cordero, 6-1, 6-1.
Up next, the men will play the University of Puerto Rico-Ponce on Wednesday at 6:30 pm.
Final Score: Springfield 7, Puerto Rico-Mayaguez 2
1) Andrew Constant/Bobby Schlink (SC) def. Mauricio Caceres/Enrique Martin (UPR), 8-5
2) Tim Tunis/Trevor Romanzi (SC) def. Louis Colon/Jose Bachier (UPR), 8-1
3) Zach O'Leary/Phil O'Sullivan (SC) def. M. Colon/M. Linares (UPR), 9-8 (8-6)
1) Caceres (UPR) def. Constant (SC), 6-4, 1-6 (10-7 super tiebreaker)
2) Romanzi (SC) def. L. Colon (UPR). 6-1, 6-3
3) Martin (UPR) def. Tunis (SC), 6-3, 7-5
4) Schlink (SC) def. Bachier (UPR), 7-6 (6), 6-1
5) O'Leary (SC) def. Linares (UPR), 6-3, 6-1
6) Eric Henne (SC) def. Juan Cordero (UPR), 6-1, 6-1