With the win, the Beavers (6-12) advance to Saturday’s semifinal round at Coast Guard, where they will meet top-seeded MIT at 9:30 a.m. The winner of that contest will play in the championship match later that afternoon.
With the loss, Springfield sees its season come to a close with a record of 4-12.
Babson built an early 2-1 lead in doubles play, thanks to an 8-3 win by the senior tandem of Alex Kamergorodsky and Brian Lafayette at number one and an 8-4 victory by first-year Simeon Human and junior Justin Albert at number two. The duo of sophomore Zach O’Leary and junior Doug Nickerson put Springfield on the board at number three, where they earned a 9-7 win.
The Beavers put the match away with three straight-set victories in singles play. Kamergorodsky, who missed nearly the entire season with an injury after winning NEWMAC Player of the Year honors last spring, collected his first singles victory of the year with a 6-0, 6-2 win at number one. Human added a quick 6-1, 6-1 triumph at number three, and first-year Zach Ringer completed the 5-1 victory with a 6-2, 6-1 win at six.
Babson College 5, Springfield College 1
Apr 22, 2010 at Babson Park, MA (Men's)
1. Alex Kamergorodsky (BAB) def. Trevor Romanzi (SPR) 6-0, 6-2
2. Austin Conti (BAB) vs. Tim Tunis (SPR) 6-4, 3-5, unfinished
3. Ken Lin (BAB) vs. Ben Burnap (SPR) 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
4. Simeon Human (BAB) def. Zach O'Leary (SPR) 6-1, 6-1
5. Danny Schneider (BAB) vs. Doug Nickerson (SPR) 4-6, 0-4, unfinished
6. Zach Ringer (BAB) def. John Schrank (SPR) 6-2, 6-1
1. Alex Kamergorodsky/Brian Lafayette (BAB) def. Trevor Romanzi/Tim Tunis (SPR) 8-3
2. Simeon Human/Justin Albert (BAB) def. Kevin Leahy/Ben Burnap (SPR) 8-4
3. Zach O'Leary/Doug Nickerson (SPR) def. Moises Numa/Austin Conti (BAB) 9-7