Babson received a quick 8-1 win by senior captain Jes Huang and sophomore Rebecca Stone at number one doubles, but Springfield took the remaining two matches to take a 2-1 overall lead. First-year Sam Carney and senior captain Funmi Olowookere claimed a close 9-8 (5) win at number two, while first-years Vanessa Senecal and Erin Woodbury earned an 8-4 win at three.
The Beavers mounted a big comeback in singles play, winning three of the first four matches to finish to take a 4-3 lead. Huang bounced back from an opening-set loss to win her match at one, 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-3, Stone cruised in her match at two, 6-1, 6-0, and first-year Mikaela Stamas notched a 6-4, 7-5 victory at four. Springfield's lone win during that stretch came at five, where Woodbury claimed a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 win.
Springfield tied the overall match by taking the closest of the four three-set singles matches on the day, as Carney outdueled Babson sophomore Lorena Becerra, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5) at number three. That left just Baez and Senecal on the court at number six, where Baez pulled out a 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 win to give Babson the overall 5-4 victory.
Babson returns to action on Sunday with a 10 a.m. match at Tufts, while Springfield resumes its schedule with a home match against Smith on Tuesday at 4 p.m.
1. Jes Huang (BAB) def. Amy Shaw (SPR) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-3
2. Rebecca Stone (BAB) def. Kyla Walgren (SPR) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sam Carney (SPR) def. Lorena Becerra (BAB) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
4. Mickaela Stamas (BAB) def. Funmi Olowookere (SPR) 6-3, 7-5
5. Erin Woodbury (SPR) def. Gabriela Baez (BAB) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
6. Carolina Baez (BAB) def. Vanessa Senecal (SPR) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
1. Jes Huang/Rebecca Stone (BAB) def. Amy Shaw/Kyla Walgren (SPR) 8-1
2. Sam Carney/Funmi Olowookere (SPR) def. Liz Sheerin/Lorena Becerra (BAB) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Erin Woodbury/Vanessa Senecal (SPR) def. Mickaela Stamas/Victoria Lorido (BAB) 8-4