With the victory, SC is now 2-1, while the Golden Bears fall to 2-5.
SC swept the doubles competition, 3-0, getting off to a good start. At No. 1 doubles, the Pride duo of senior Sam Carney (Franklin, Mass.) and junior Jen Cleary (Nahant, Mass.) defeated sophomore Valerie Conway (Cumberland, R.I.) and senior Linda Mustafa (Chicopee, Mass.), 8-1.
At No. 2, SC's senior Vanessa Senecal (Seekonk, Mass.) and junior Sydney Streimer (Mystic, Conn.) had a tussle with senior Alysha Lesieur (Hudson, N.H.) and junior Kelsey Grode (Fairview, Pa.), before winning 8-6. At No. 3, senior Erin Woodbury (Portland, Me.) and senior Amy Buttarazzi (Scarborough, Me.) whitewashed the freshman duo of Kelly Byrnes (Berlin, Conn.) and Juliette Cormier (Leominster, Mass.), 8-0.
In singles play, the Pride won all six competitions in straight sets. First off the court was Woodbury at No. 3 with her 6-0, 6-0 win over Lesieur.
Carney and Senecal also won by similar scores at No. 1 and No. 6 singles. Freshman Melanie Thulin (Manchester Center, Vt.) won her first collegiate match at No. 5 singles by a 6-1, 6-0 tally.
Siana Green, a senior from Pomfret, Conn., was a 6-3, 6-4 winner at No. 2 singles, while Streimer was a 6-2, 6-3 winner at No. 4.
Up next for the hosts is a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match at Wheaton Saturday, Sept. 22 at 1 pm.
Springfield 9, Western New England 0
1) Sam Carney/Jen Cleary (SC) def. Valerie Conway/Linda Mustafa (W), 8-1
2) Vanessa Senecal/Sydney Streimer (SC) def. Alysha Lesieur/Kelsey Grode (W), 8-6
3) Erin Woodbury/Amy Buttarazzi (SC) def. Kelly Byrnes/Juliete Cormier (W), 8-0
1) Carney (SC) def. Mustafa (W), 6-0, 6-0
2) Siana Green (SC) def. Conway (W), 6-3, 6-4)
3) Woodbury (SC) def. Lesieur (W), 6-0, 6-0
4) Streimer (SC) def. Lyndsay Brudwig (W), 6-2, 6-3
5) Melanie Thulin (SC) def. Michelle Magliulo (W), 6-1, 6-0
6) Senecal (SC) def. Gillian Adams (W), 6-0, 6-0
Springfield -- 2-1
WNEU -- 2-5