The loss drops Springfield's record to 0-2 on the year while the Golden Bears improve to 6-2.
Sophomore Christina Barbarisi won her No. 5 singles match in the dark and it proved to be the difference as the Golden Bears picked up the dramatic victory. Barbarisi won the first game against junior Kristi Maltz 6-2 before dropping a 4-6 decision in the second game. The two players then went to a 10-point tie-breaker. Maltz went ahead 5-4 before Barbarisi won six of the next seven points as darkness decided on the WNEC Courts.
A short time earlier, senior co-captain Kristen Ayers won her No. 2 singles match in three games to tie the match.
Senior Kelly Murnane took her No. 4 singles match in straight sets and teamed with junior Ashley Czelatka for a win at the No. 2 doubles spot. Freshman Linda Mustafa and sophomore Jessica Haffner posted a win at No. 3 doubles.
Springfield junior Amy Shaw took the No. 1 singles match in straight sets. Freshman Sam Carney and senior Elizabeth Slotnick were winners at the No. 3 and No. 6 singles positions, respectively.
Freshmen Vanessa Senecal and Erin Woodbury took the No. 1 doubles flight.
The Pride will hit the courts again on Saturday when it travels for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest at Wheaton.
1. Amy Shaw (SPR) def. Nicole DeSimone (WNEC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kristen Ayers (WNEC) def. Kyla Walgren (SPR) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Sam Carney (SPR) def. Linda Mustafa (WNEC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Kelly Murnane (WNEC) def. Talya Pessolano (SPR) 6-0, 6-0
5. Christina Barbarisi (WNEC) def. Kristi Maltz (SPR) 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
6. Elizabeth Slotnick (SPR) def. Ashley Czelatka (WNEC) 6-3, 6-3
1. Vanessa Senecal/Erin Woodbury (SPR) def. Nicole DeSimone/Kristen Ayers (WNEC) 8-4
2. Kelly Murnane/Ashley Czelatka (WNEC) def. Siana Green/Funmi Olowookers (SPR) 8-3
3. Linda Mustafa/Jessica Haffner (WNEC) def. Sarah Morgan/Amy Buttarazzi (SPR) 8-2