In the win over Holy Cross, Tunis, a junior from Sudbury, Mass. lost his first set, 6-1, but then came back to win the final two sets, 6-3, 6-3, over his opponent, Jay DeSanto. Tunis also teamed with junior Trevor Romanzi (Bay Shore, N.Y.) at No. 2 doubles to win, 8-3.
Springfield won all three doubles matches to get the momentum going in the right direction. The difference in Division I scoring is that winning two of three doubles matches (or all three for that matter) nets only one team point. So the Pride led, 1-0, after completion of the doubles. Seniors Andrew Consant (Kingston, N.Y.) and Bobby Schlink (Quaker Hill, Conn.) won their No. 1 doubles match, 8-3. And at No. 3 doubles, sophomore Eric Henne (Bristol, Conn.) and freshman Zach O'Leary (Westboro, Mass.) won their match, 9-8 (3).
In singles, SC won at 2-4-5-6. Besides Tunis at No. 4, Romanzi won at No. 2, O'Leary at No. 5, and Henne at No. 6.
The SC men will open their NEWMAC conference portion of the season this Saturday at Wheaton at 1 pm.
Final Score: Springfield 5, Holy Cross 2
1) Andrew Constant/Bobby Schlink (SC) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC), 8-3
2) Trevor Romanzi/Tim Tunis (SC) def. Chris Das/Dan Phelan (HC), 8-3
3) Eric Henne/Zach O'Leary (SC) def. Brendan McElhenny/A.J. Shekar (HC), 9-8 (3)
1) Wierzel (HC) def. Constant (SC), 6-1, 6-0
2) Romanzi (SC) def. Burke (HC), 6-2, 6-0
3) Phelan (HC) def. Schlink (SC), 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
4) Tunis (SC) def. Jay DeSanto (HC), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
5) O'Leary (SC) def. Das (HC), 6-1, 5-7, (10-4 super tie-breaker)
6) Henne (SC) def. A.J. Shekar (HC), 6-4, 6-3