With the win, Springfield raises its record to 4-3, while AIC drops to 0-5.
The match began with doubles, with Springfield winning 24 of 25 games, and jumping out to a 3-0 lead. Constant, a senior from Kingston, N.Y., teamed with junior Trevor Romanzi (Bay Shore, N.Y.), winning 8-0 at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, junior Tim Tunis (Sudbury, Mass.) and freshman Zach O'Leary (Westboro, Mass.) were 8-1 winners. And at No. 3 doubles, sophomores Eric Henne (Bristol. Conn.) and John Schrank (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) teamed for the first time ever to win, 8-0.
In singles, Springfield "double-bageled" the Yellowjackets, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Those winners, in order, included Constant, Tunis, O'Leary, Henne, and sophomore Doug Nickerson (Falmouth, Me.).
The AIC player offering the most resistance was sophomore Alex Touhey (Feeding Hills, Mass.), who lost to Romanzi by a score of 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
Up next for Springfield is perennial NEWMAC champion MIT at home Saturday (Apr. 2) at 1 pm at the Appleton Courts.
Final Score: Springfield 9, AIC 0
1) Andrew Constant/Trevor Romanzi (SC) def. Alex Touhey/Jake Anderson (AIC), 8-0
2) Tim Tunis/Zach O'Leary (SC) def. Leo Santos/Dean Yakura (AIC), 8-1
3) Eric Henne/John Schrank (SC) def. Brett Barry/Eric Stutman (AIC), 8-0
1) Constant (SC) def. Santos (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
2) Romanzi (SC) def. Touhey (AIC), 6-1, 6-2
3) Tunis (SC) def. Anderson (AIC), 6-0 6-0
4) O'Leary (SC) def. Yakura (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
5) Henne (SC) def. Barry (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
6) Doug Nickerson (SC) def. Stutman (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
Team Records: Springfield 4-3; AIC 0-5