Student Life Student Activities First-Year Experience Welcome New Students! Welcome to NSO
- Message From the Chair
- NSO Audio Slide Show
- NSO Traditions
- NSO Staff
- Springfield College Songs
- Summer Reading Assignment Guide
New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation provides an opportunity for all students to interact before classes start and give them the opportunity to become comfortable with their academic, residential, and social lives at Springfield College.
All new students are expected to arrive Friday, August 31, 2012 between 8:30 and 11:30 a.m. Upon arrival, students are required to check in at the registration site in front of the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union, where they will meet their NSO leaders. NSO officially begins with the New Student Assembly at 1:30 p.m. Student meal plans begin that same day with the noon meal. If a student is traveling and wishes to arrive on Thursday evening, August 30, the College has made arrangements for a special rate with the Hilton Garden Inn on Columbus Avenue.
Highlights of NSO
- Upon arrival on Friday, August 31, students check in for orientation and into their residence hall.
- Students and their families are invited to the New Student Assembly at Blake Arena.
- At the conclusion of the assembly, students join their classmates and NSO leaders to begin familiarizing themselves with the College, its traditions, and all aspects of campus life. Some of this time will be spent at Springfield College’s East Campus, a “nature zone” a mile and a half from the main campus.
- Students will discuss the summer reading selection Acts of Faith by Eboo Patel, with faculty, staff, and NSO leaders.
Summer Reading ReminderYour summer reading assignment is Acts of Faith by Eboo Patel. Please make sure you have read this book prior to NSO, as you will be discussing it in your group with a faculty or staff member. The book will also be used in your English 113 course. Download the summer reading assignment guide.
Springfield College SongsCheck out our Springfield College songs to see and hear some traditional Springfield College music.
Pre-Camp is a program for first-year students to meet people, feel comfortable, and gain a sense of self before getting into the rigor of campus life. It is an optional pre-orientation program for small groups of first-year students interested in getting a head start prior to NSO. Apply to Pre-Camp today!