Allied Health Sciences
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist position available at Emarc in Wakefield, MA
Join an innovative organization serving 500 individuals with developmental disabilities in the metro north area of Boston. As part of our Family Resource Center, the Recreation Department offers comprehensive services to those living at home with families, independently, in supported living and in group homes. The Therapeutic Recreation Specialist will develop, coordinate and implement recreation program for children and adults with developmental disabilities, including direct care responsibilities.
This position is Tuesday -- Saturday including some evening hours.
1. Develop and be responsible for a variety of year-round recreational and social programs, which will include the areas of sports, social/leisure activities, outings/travel, life skills and special events.
Programs will include Saturday recreation programs for children and after work programs for adults.
2. Assist the Director in the development of recreation/leisure and life skills activities for people of all ages living at home, independently, and in residential programs.
3. Develop inclusive and specialized recreation/leisure programs in conjunction with existing community resources such as: YMCA's athletic clubs, school systems, churches/temples, city recreation departments, etc.
4. Work cooperatively with families, participants with disabilities and the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services to identify need areas, locate resources and develop programs.
5. Coordinate and develop programs to include but not limited to summer programs, sports, after school, aquatics, and social programs.
6. To operate and organize activities in conjunction with ongoing Special Olympic programs, at the area, sectional and state level.
7. Assist the Director in composing newsletter information, brochures and special events flyers.
8. Responsible for public speaking engagements to help enhance the program in a variety of ways (financial, staffing, public education).
9. Assist the Director with grant writing and the financial oversight of all programs
Bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation and CTRS (Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist) or CTRS certification within one year of employment. Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing recreation/leisure activities for persons with developmental disabilities. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Mark S. Simoneau
Director of Human Resources
26 Princess Street
Wakefield, MA 01880
Type of position:
Therapeutic Recreation Services
Mark S. Simoneau, Director of Human Resources
26 Princess Street